✧Laser Cut Design ✧



 Ello!  For this week's post, we had to laser-cut our 2D Rhino design into wood. Ive modified my design to better fit the material by using the circle that surrounded the jellyfish as the border for the cut. I also decided to do two inverted versions just to test out how the design would look in the negative vs positive engraving! 


Process & Thoughts:


I used the cherry wood provided, both disks are 4". The disk on the left took around 12min while the right one took 8min. 

Overall my personal favourite is the left one as I like the vintage/worn out look the dark wood gives off. I also think the positive starfish, rays and center draw your eye more toward the jellyfish. That being said, I do wish the starfish weren't as dark and that I would have made the front of the jellyfish a lighter grey so it would 'pop-out' more.

The things I like the most about the right disk are the jellyfish 'feet' as the different shades of grey create a cool 3D look but I do think the design seems a bit tight and enclosed. 

Here is the Rhino file I sent off to the laser cutter (with the help of Erica ofc):



Details: 













Comments

Popular Posts